Depth interviews are one on one discussions conducted by a senior moderator. Like a focus group, but in an individual setting. They typically last 45-60 minutes.
For business to business clients, understanding their market has unique challenges. Corporate or business clients are unlikely to be found on databases or panels, and it is difficult to get a robust enough sample for a statistically valid survey. And of course, they are less likely to respond to a survey unless is it short and highly relevant. Their time is valuable.
But, they are likely to accept to an invitation to a depth interview if we can ensure the following criteria:
- The topic is relevant to them
- They are offered an appropriate gift or incentive. Usually a premium bottle of wine, a donation to charity, and in some circumstances, cash or gift card
- We visit them in their office
- We are accommodating of their time and diary. Going to see them at a time that suits their schedule, not ours
- We offer confidentiality. That is, they understand that their feedback will be aggragated in a report and their individual comments will not be attributed to them. In most cases, we do not tell our clients who we have spoken to
- The interaction is a positive one for them. This is about our senior moderators having the experience, maturity and business nouse to have a meaningful conversation rather than an interviewer asking questions and recording answers
Most studies require 8 + interviews